Thursday, September 9, 2010

Anything but the bees.. D:

I don't know if you've heard, but if you, the reader, are in Mr. Schaedel's AP Environmental Science class for whatever period, than you know how depressing the bee condition is. How can bees be decreasing in population? It's very sad.. To know how much a little flying insect coated in yellow and black stripes does for us as humans is astounding. I'm sure not everyone in the United States thinks of fruits of cows when they think of bees. Right off the bat, what would most likely come to mind? Flowers. Honey. Pollen. Well, yeah, obviously those do have something in common with bees. But it's so much more than just that. Bees carry pollen, and pollenate our plants. They help our fruits, our vegetables grow enough so we can enjoy them. I even found out today in class that if bees become extinct, cows may even be affected. Whoa. Whoa now. That's pretty intense information. Not for me, since I don't eat meat, but A LOT of meat comes from a cow. A lot. Even while I'm drinking my coffee, that milk came from a cow, that cow ate some grass, that grass was pollenated by a bee. It all comes down to the bees!! They are so precious to us, and we may even take them for granted as the human race. I say we all need to be much more careful.

I spoke with my mom about this, and I would even like to create a special area to grow some sort of collection of flowers, plants that bees naturally are attracted to. Some kind of variety of plants that bees can come and pollenate, take pollen from, etc. etc. I want to help. I already know my mom does not use pesticides on her garden flowers in the front yard or the back. So, this is a great thing so far. I encourage anyone else who is willing to help out as much as possible in any way possible too. Let the bees come and mess up your garden a little. Who cares as long as the bees don't go extinct in our life times, right? Or even in our children's lifetimes, and so on.

We already are destroying our planet enough as it is.. This topic is very important, and might have a smaller solution that we could manage as individuals. So why not try to?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Staci,

    This is a great responce! I also think it's awesome that you are taking action to help solve the problem. I'm sure you're efforts will "BEE" appreciated. I also think it's great they you spreading the word about thing we learn about in class to other people! Making people aware of these issues is half the battle.

    P.S BEST BLOG TITLE!

    ReplyDelete